Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Food for thought

I wanted to mention that it's a little difficult for me to take so much delight in preparing Julian's meals, buying produce at farmer's markets, and having the luxury to think so much about food without recognizing that so many people don't have the time, money, or education to pack their children healthy lunches.

I'm not entirely sure what the answer is but I think awareness is the first step toward a solution.  I like the things talked about on the blog Civil Eats.  If you have time to read just one post I would suggest something like this one about what class says about food.  I also have been meaning to read Oran Hesterman's Fair Food (I am in the middle of three books right now, I really need to focus) and maybe I'll get some inspiration from that.  You can read more about the book here and you can learn more about the Fair Food Network here.

I don't think this is going to become a blog about food insecurity but I do love talking about this stuff should any of you want to hit me up in the comments or via email.  My friend Annie is also really informed about this stuff.  Maybe she'll have something really valuable to contribute to the food movement in the future.  She's already been involved in a few campaigns doing some great work here in LA via the Progressive Jewish Alliance.  Click on the link to see how you can get involved with that great organization as well.

1 comment: